Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Listen! Hooray for Earth





There are so many great bands playing this month in Montreal, its exciting but also a little overwhelming. The nice thing about Montreal is that the shows here are often at smaller venues, making them all the more intimate. Also it seems like all new up and coming bands seem to want to pass through here. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a great band called Love Inks play at the tiniest of venues Le Cagibi. There must've been only fifteen people at the show, which made me feel sort of bad for the band; but it was also really cool to be a part of the show, as I have a feeling they'll be blowing up soon (more on Love Inks later).

I don't know what's been happening to my musical taste lately, maybe its the gradually warming weather or the bright poppy colours currently all over the place on the fashion side, but I seem to be trading in my folky banjo inclined taste for up beat pop-synth sounds. Don't get me wrong, I still love the banjo. I guess ultimately my favourite music would merge folk sounds, synth, brazilian drumming, and soft vocals. Anyway at the moment I'm completely enamoured by up and coming band Hooray for Earth.  Dumb, gimicky sounding band names often turn me off, but in this case, I think the name fits the sound. Their LP "True Loves" came out June 7th, and while the title track is definitely up there for me, my favourite is "No Love" listen here:

Hooray For Earth - No Love by goldestegg

I'm also loving this:

Twin Shadow & Hooray For Earth - A Place We Like by Hypetrak

1 comment:

Candice said...

yessss i was one of the 15 people!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...